Sei in: Home » International » Welcome Office » Admissions Information

Admissions Information


How to enrol in the courses taught at LUMSA

On their arrival, students from European Union countries and from  universities with which LUMSA has bilateral agreements within the ERASMUS + program must present themselves at the LUMSA International Relations office in order to complete their enrolment and fill in the course admission application form  (students participating in the Erasmus + program are exempt from enrolment fees). The registration deadlines for Erasmus students are  the end of June (I semester) and the end of November (II semester).
 The following documents must be presented at the International Relations office:
a) Declaration by the university to which the student belongs that the student in question is an Erasmus student;
b) Certificate from the student's university stating that the student in question is enrolled at that university and his/her Transcript of Records.
c) Original Application form (a completed and signed application for registration)
d) Learning agreement signed by the exchange coordinator of the student’s university.
e) The European health coverage or private health insurance.
f) Passport or identity card (photocopy).
g) Two passport-sized photographs.
Application Deadlines

For information on the application process check the LUMSA Website

Non-EU candidates

1. Non-EU applicants resident abroad are also required to complete  pre-enrolment through the Italian authorities (usually the Italian Consulate) in the country in which they obtained their academic qualifications (or are in the process of obtaining them), their academic qualification(s). Applicants must comply with the regulations
and deadlines of the Italian Ministry of Universities and Research (Ministero dell’Università e della Ricerca -
If candidates do not pre-enrol through the Italian consulate abroad, and send the pre-enrolment application form straight to the LUMSA university, it will be rejected as only the Italian authorities abroad are authorised to process university applications.
For the Master’s courses, the curriculum studiorum  awarded at your university of origin  must be enclosed, as indicated in the LUMSA Study Manifesto.
2. Non-EU citizens with valid residence permit
Candidates who are non-EU citizens with a valid residence permit for Italy (according to the dispositions of the Italian Law no. 286/98, art. 39, 5) must follow the same procedure as Italian and EU citizens and present an application for pre-enrolment by the deadline set down by the LUMSA University of Rome. Candidates holding a foreign qualification, will also have to present a declaration of value which  can be obtained from the Italian embassy or consulate in the candidate’s home country.
The certificate, which is issued by the Consulate’s academic office, confirms that the qualifications obtained at secondary school level (for admission to undergraduate degree courses) or the university degree (for admission to postgraduate courses) by the candidate would allow him/her to be admitted to higher education in the country in which the qualifications were achieved. If the candidate’s certificate/s is/are not written in Italian, an official translation into Italian must be attached. If the duration of studies in the country in which the candidate received the qualification, is less than 12 years, they must present a certificate stating that have passed all the exams required:
for the first year of university (in the event the local school system lasts 11 years) for the first two years of university (in the event the local school system lasts 10 years).
3. Non-EU citizens resident abroad
In order to access a degree course at the LUMSA University of Rome non-EU citizens resident abroad must hold  qualifications awarded at the end of secondary education lasting at least 12 years, as is the case in Italy. If secondary school education lasted less than 12 years, then candidates must also present the academic certificates stating that they have passed all the exams required for:
the first year of university (in the event that the local school system lasts only 11 years)
the first two years of university (in the event that the local school system lasts only 10 years).

To pre-enrol at the LUMSA University, it is necessary to:
- Pre-enrol online through the LUMSAs’ website following the deadlines and requirements of the Department. Once the online pre-enrolment form has been completed, it must be printed, signed and sent through ordinary mail to the Student Administration Office together with all the documents that are listed in the LUMSA Study Manifesto.
- Present the pre-enrolment application to the Italian Authorities (embassy or consulate) in the candidate’s home country, for one degree course only (it is not possible to pre-enrol at any other Italian university).

Arrival in Italy: Once you have been admitted into the course you have applied for (as shown in the shortlist), the Italian embassy or consulate will issue a student visa: this will allow you to travel to Italy and sit the Italian-language test (for undergraduate courses), or any other tests that may be required for the course for which you have pre-enrolled. By law, within 8 working days of arrival in Italy, it is necessary to apply for a permit to stay: upon arrival you should go to the LUMSA University of Rome’s Advisory Service, which will provide you with all the information you need to apply for the permit. In order to obtain the necessary permit, you will require:
an application form (can be obtained from a post office);
your passport (with an entry visa, if required), or another valid identification document, and a photocopy of it;
the documents that you need for the permit to live in Italy for study reasons (university enrolment certificate and photocopy of your medical insurance).
To apply for a permit to stay, you must go to a post office, where you can obtain the application pack which includes an envelope (with a yellow stripe), two forms and the instruction leaflet. Once you have filled in the form, you need to attach a duty stamp of  €14.62. A further € 30 has to be paid when you send the envelope and its contents by registered insured mail. Another € 27.50 has to be paid using a post office payment slip for any stay over 90 days. The procedure costs €72.12 in total.
Once filled in, the application has to be sent from the post office from which it was obtained. The post office will then give you a receipt for the application, which you must keep: this will allow you to track your application through a dedicated website ( , and you will be able to see when it is ready to pick up from the police station. You will also have to show this receipt if you are required to produce identification by the police. The receipt acts as a provisional permit to stay and as such, has certain restrictions compared to the full  residence permit . After sending your application , you will receive a letter from the police in which they will inform you  on what day you have to go to the police station. When you go, you need to take 4 passport-sized photos (identical photos against a light background and with your face and head uncovered) and the list of the documents that might be missing. If it is your first time in Italy, they will take your fingerprints. After some time, you will receive your electronic permit, which is a credit-card like card with its own microchip and magnetic strip that contain your personal details, your photo and your fingerprints. For further information, you can phone the following free phone number 800.309.309 (where you can get information in English, French, Spanish and Arabic). You will also have to apply for an Italian fiscal code (codice fiscale), which is how citizens identify themselves when dealing with the public administration system.
The tax code issued by the Tax Office (Agenzia delle Entrate) is the only tax code accepted in Italy. All that one needs to do to obtain this tax code is to go to the Tax Office with an identity card; foreigners normally have to present their passport.
To obtain medical cover and to be able to have access to a doctor during their studies, non-EU citizens resident abroad must go to the Azienda Sanitaria Locale (local health authority) with the following documents:
enrolment certificate,
fiscal code,

residence permit or receipt that this has been applied for, and, if the candidate is in receipt of a study grant or scholarship , confirmation letter that this is the case.
N.B. All the documents listed above can be sent by the student's university to the international relations office of LUMSA at the following address, but this must be done by 30 July :

Ufficio Periferico delle Entrate (for the issue of the fiscal code) Rome - Via Ippolito Nievo, 36
Phone + 39 06 583191
tram n. 8

Comune di Roma (for the issue of a residence permit for European students)
Via Luigi Petroselli, 50
Phone + 39 06 060606
Mon - Fri 8.30 – 13.30
bus 40 Piazza Venezia stop

Questura Centrale - Ufficio Stranieri (for the issue of a residence permit)
Via Genova, 2
Tel.+39 06- 46863216
Mon - Fri 8.30 – 13.30
bus 40 Via Nazionale stop

Questura di Roma – Ufficio Relazioni con il Pubblico (for the issue of a residence permit)
Via di S. Vitale, 15
Phone +39 06- 46863401
Mon - Fri 8 - 20
bus 40 Via Nazionale stop