In 1939 the principles of cultural pluralism, academic freedom and institutional autonomy as, recognised in the Italian Constitution, inspired Luigia Tincani to establish an institution of higher learning devoted to the pursuit of knowledge and dissemination of truth.
In 2011 the University underwent a reorganisation and new departments were established.
|The Istituto Superiore di Magistero Maria Ss. Assunta is established
(Decree no. 1760 of 26/10/1939).
Enrollment – initially restricted to nuns - is opened to lay women
|The Libera Università Maria Ss. Assunta (LUMSA) is established||The Faculty of Humanities is established – initially as part of the Faculty of Education.
Enrollment is opened to male students
|The Faculty of Law is established||The University is reorganised into Departments.|